Slow Cooker Jambalaya

I made a few changes to this recipe, I admit. First off, I used cut up cooked chicken from my stash of leftovers instead of the expensive boneless skinless chicken breasts.

I did manage to find andouille sausage, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if I had to substitute another kind. This is a Cajun recipe, and they're famous for making do with what they have.

My chicken broth was homemade, and you don't get much more "reduced sodium" than that. (That's what I do with all those leftover bits like the pointy wing tips, necks no one wants, and the occasional "sale meat" that is a bargain only if you stew it to death. Grin)

Also, here's a little trick to gladden the heart of any cook-- You can make your rice in the slow cooker too! Just use the "converted" rice (I use Uncle Ben's) and it cooks up just fine. (This is why I have two crock pots, and I'm thinking about getting another.) I'll make the jambalaya in the big pot, and the rice in the smaller one.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Excellent idea on having more than one crockpot! I didn't know rice is "low carb." I love rice and my family loves jambalaya.

Can I have all the tomatoes I want? I'm addicted to everything with tomatoes in it.
Lee Plumb said…
Rice in itself isn't, but you don't have to put it in the pot. Just serve it to those who can have it and ladle the soup over it. I didn't have any rice and it worked fine. All the tomatoes you want, honey.

Popular posts from this blog

My Doc has a Spiffy New Office!

Is Humiliation Part of the Treatment?

The Legend of No Desserts in One-der-Land