How to Make Bias Tape-- A Scrap Buster to Love

Bias Tape- Love it or hate it, you have to have it when you quilt or sew. Well-meaning friends often give a quilter/sewer lots of scrap fabric, whether it's suitable for quilting or not. I have received bags full of absolutely stunning high-quality wedding silks, a footlocker full of grandma's table linens, and an entire 18-gallon tote of upholstery fabric. Then again, I also have my own Mount Scrapmore. I can't bear to throw away anything larger than 2-1/2" wide. It's still useful. 

I confess I hated making bias tape. That was one of the reasons I stopped quilting. I always screwed up the angles making bias tape until Dave found this method below. Within a day, I was zooming through my scraps making all the bias tape out of all the 2-1/2" strips I'd been holding onto for years. If my cats hadn't practiced their interference mastery skills by laying all into my piles (sorted by color) I probably would have been falling asleep at the sewing machine. 

 How to Make Bias Tape: Step by Step Tutorial » Helen's Closet Patterns (helensclosetpatterns.com)

The above simple technique of sewing before you cut the angle was a revelation. Wow, I'm still excited. Having bias tape around for those quick little finished edges, covering up an odd seam, or in applique work means creativity is still free flowing. 

Now here's my own hack to add: Roll 'em up! Best device so far for rolling up bias tape is a doll clothespin. Like these: Amazon.com: Honey-Can-Do Round Wooden Clothespins, 100 Pack : Everything Else  Simply stick one end of your bias tape in the notch and start winding. I secure the final end on the roll with a pin. This prevents the cats from deciding it's their toy and taking off with it since it rolls so nicely. Do you need the clothespin? No. You can just roll it up like a jellyroll and secure it with a pin. 

Voila! One shoebox of tight little rolls, waiting and easy to see. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Doc has a Spiffy New Office!

Is Humiliation Part of the Treatment?

The Legend of No Desserts in One-der-Land