St Patrick's Day Recipe: Slow-Cooked Corned Beef and Cabbage
Slow-Cooked Corned Beef and Cabbage
3 1/2 cups Swanson® Beef Broth or Swanson® Beef Stock
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 medium onions, cut into quarters
5 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters (about 5 cups)
5 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 2 1/2 cups)
1 corned beef or beef brisket (about 3 pounds)
1 head green cabbage, trimmed and cut into 6 wedges (about 2 pounds)
- Stir the broth and vinegar into a 6-quart slow cooker. Add the onions, potatoes, carrots, beef and cabbage. Submerge the Bouquet Garni in the broth mixture.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours or until the beef is fork-tender. Remove the Bouquet Garni.
- Bouquet Garni: Lay a 4-inch square of cheesecloth flat on the counter. Place 4 cloves garlic, 1 tablespoon pickling spice and 2 bay leaves in the center of the cloth. Bring the corners of the cheesecloth together and tie with kitchen string into a bundle.
- Time-Saving: Or you may cook the recipe on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
- For thicker sauce: Remove the beef and vegetables from the cooker. Stir 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl until smooth. Add to the cooker and cook on HIGH for 15 minutes or until the mixture boils and thickens.