Freezer Project Update Two - Shoe boxes!

I've been reorganizing our freezers in preparation for my upcoming surgery and the dietary changes that come from one person (me!) having bariatric surgery while Da Roomie Dave copes with his new life as a Type 2 diabetic.

I also finally got around to reading Marie Kondo's book, "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up." I've enjoyed having a very clean bureau, especially using shoe boxes as a primary organizer. They're cheap and versatile. I've already had one go at my closet, but I think a second round will be necessary.

But enough of that. The point is, shoe boxes have a new respect in my life. So, since I had to clean out the freezer and I had a few spare plastic shoe boxes, I decided to "Kondo Mari" the small freezers above our two refrigerators.

Before you diet-nazis get all huffy and feel superior, Da Roomie Dave and I each own a refrigerator. Mine is the black one currently in the kitchen and is one of the few remaining appliances left from when I lost my home after I was widowed. Dave's is white, and currently resides in the den as a spare.

Anyway, the small freezers above both refrigerators were a mess! No one could find anything, freezer bags with mystery ingredients were stuffed in the doors, and your toes were in danger from falling frozen kamikaze bombs every time you opened the door.

Trying to stuff hockey pucks of frozen soups, Popsicle makers, and all the fruits and vegetables was a no-go. It wasn't working. So, it all came out and was categorized into four plastic shoe boxes. Each box has a label: Meat, Vegetables, Fruit, Recipe Ingredients. Recipe ingredients is a special category. They aren't to be used except for the recipe they were bought for.

Anything not identifiable was disposed. Some things were put in properly labeled freezer bags. The soup pucks made by freezing soup into my silicone muffin tins are now all in the deep freezer, except for a few in the Recipe Ingredients box.

The results are:


I must say I'm proud of the way it looks. It's not perfect, but now we can find things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Doc has a Spiffy New Office!

Is Humiliation Part of the Treatment?

The Legend of No Desserts in One-der-Land