The Countdown has Begun

I don't talk about my diet much on Facebook. No one gives a rat's patootey about your diet except someone else on the diet. Your friends will applaud when you've lost a few pounds, but this is a long-haul marathon slog. In fact, it's a full lifestyle change. This is kind of like how vegans seem to brag about their diet choice and post recipes like they expect you to join in. The most I could ever manage was a lacto-ovo-pesco-pollotarian. (Willing to give up beef and pork, but will eat chicken, fish, eggs, and milk.)

I've been back on a low-carb diet for months, and transitioning over to the Phase One of the pre-surgical diet has been relatively smooth. Do I miss my carbs? YOU BETCHA! Especially my morning bowl of hot cereals. Everything else I can live without, but that's a lifetime habit to have a bowl of carbs in the morning to fuel the day. I don't even miss red meat right now. This may change, but so far I'm okay with just fish, eggs, beans, white cheeses, veggies, and poultry.

Oh, and protein shakes. Lots of shakes. Thank all the gods I'm not afraid to experiment. Not to mention my Pinterest Board, "Diet" has a whole section devoted to me not going completely nuts with boredom from plain old shakes. From Maple Donut to Matcha Green, I'd have a hard time getting bored. (Current favorite: Snickers!) I've only had one taste failure so bad I dumped it down the sink. That's not a bad record so far.

I've also made "ice cream" out of my shakes. Yes, it's close enough to ice cream to keep me from sobbing as I pass the Ben and Jerry's in the grocery store. I've even imitated my fave "Americone Dream" with decent success.

The preparations have paid off handsomely. My freezer is packed with muffin-tin sized "pucks" of frozen soups, frozen veggies to whirl in for "Cream of Anything" Soup mix (see previous entry in this blog for the recipe), and bags of frozen tilapia, salmon, and mahi-mahi. There are a few casseroles so Da Roomie Dave won't starve. He's also a great cook, so he won't starve.

Popsicles! OMG, the popsicles! I'm practically shivering with anticipation. Coffee pops, tea tops, leftover shake pops, Jell-O pops, and a million other kinds of pops that mix fruit, coconut milk...Yeah I'm kind of obsessed.

Not to mention the cans of soup and tuna in the pantry, or the rows of bottles of sugar-free Torani and DaVinci syrups arranged like soldiers near the coffee pot. The coffee canister has a half-n-half decaf mix in it right now, so the next grocery run should see me drinking mostly decaf.

The easy part ends on October 25. That's when I hit Phase 2. Bye-bye fruits, solid meats, and all dairy. That's when things get rough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Doc has a Spiffy New Office!

Is Humiliation Part of the Treatment?

The Legend of No Desserts in One-der-Land