The Video that Started my Garden Adventures

 (29) How To Build a RAISED BED Garden-Grow Tons of Vegetables Pot Plants in EASY Tote METHOD Small Spaces - YouTube


A couple of years ago (I think) I saw this video and was inspired to try this innovative and relatively cheap technique for having a raised bed garden that was easier on someone who couldn't crouch or kneel to weed. I had tried with limited success to have raised bed gardens. Most at least gave me a few delighted moments of harvesting food for our tables wherever we lived. 

But that was the problem. We moved a lot. We never staying in one location for very long, and most raised beds can't be moved easily. I'd finally get the soil nice and black and...(sigh) we'd move away. 

This garden can be moved! If your zucchini is getting too much sun (or not enough) then you can put the tote in the wheelbarrow and move it. In fact, you should keep some soil in each tote, even if you aren't planting in it yet. The soil keeps the tote moist and pliable. If you've ever seen plastic left out in the sun and it became brittle enough to snap in your hand, you know what I mean. 

While I myself don't use the chairs to keep my totes, I have done so in the past with success. I prefer to have my totes on a simple wall of cement blocks. (8-in W x 8-in H x 16-in L Standard Cored Concrete Block in the Concrete Blocks department at Lowes.com) No, you don't have to mortar them together. Just stack them up. Two to three rows of bricks are sufficient. 

But let's talk about the totes. I recommend these:

Sterilite 18 Gallon Tote Box Plastic, Gray - Walmart.com

Note that they are not clear. Clear breaks down faster in the sun. Get the opaque plastic 18-gallon totes if you can. Now, there's nothing wrong with the freebie you find on the side of the road, but if you're buying totes then get opaque 18-gallon totes. Keep the lid. You can modify it and use it if you're so inclined. 

Another side-of the road find to look for are paint buckets. I don't know about you, but if I don't see at least one bright orange, dark blue, or white bucket every time I drive around, then some other gardener has beat me to the snatch. Some plants like cabbages, kale, rutabaga, and spinaches take up a whole tote and are better in their own bucket. These are pretty cheap. United Solutions 5 Gallon Utility Bucket- White- PN0149- Comfort Handle - Walmart.com

Finally, you need a soldering iron. The cheapest one you can find. Mine came from a thrift store snatch, but this one from Walmart.com comes with a stand. That's a convenience! EverStart Soldering Iron, Model 5133, Red, 120V/30W, Automotive Electrical Tool - Walmart.com. The whole point of this tool is it's HOT and can melt holes in the totes for drainage. (See the video above.) 

We'll talk soil or something next time. Go get some natural vitamin D and get some exercise that actually rewards you with food and beauty. See you next time. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Doc has a Spiffy New Office!

The Legend of No Desserts in One-der-Land

The Best Spices-- Never say Low Carb is bland again