Approved by Humana Military!

The much-anticipated news arrived on Friday, Sept 27. I got an email saying I had either a referral or an authorization. I knew what it had to be, having received the referral approval for the surgeon himself a few days ago.

Now I must wait on the surgeon's staff to get the message and choose to set my date. I'll be surprised if it's before Halloween, to be honest. I know where: St. Vincent's Riverside, where I spent my three delightful days in June with the bi-lateral pulmonary embolism.

In the meantime, I will be getting serious about the Phase 1 of the pre-surgery diet. I admit readily that it was difficult to be motivated before today. Going on a low-carb diet is not fun, but I've been at least trying.

So, we start with a shopping list. Mine is mercifully short, because I'd already been buying and stocking up. I've made stocks and broths, purchased a few more, and even purchased a few frozen fish. I'm not very well-versed in cooking fish, so I suppose I'd better learn fast!

I have SF Jello, I have SF Popsicles, and I have some whey protein. Not enough, since it will now be a regular part of my diet for months to come, but enough to start.

The fun thing is that I get to use my grandmother's china. I have itty bitty bowls, itty bitty plates, and itty bitty saucers. I also purchased these 1-oz plastic cups with lids:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079L1WYPJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No, I don't get any money for the link. Just showing what I bought. I got them because they're tiny and portable. I can set them up with a tiny portion of whatever I want, and can even pack a pile in a lunch box if I have to go to the office.

Gosh knows, I have a collection of Mio and Crystal Lite liquids and powders to make water palatable and add flavor to my shakes.

Fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables was easy. I've been doing that for years. However, my latest trick is to use a well-labeled freezer bag to store my fruits and veggies, instead of taking a chance that the opened bag of veggies doesn't make a mess in the bottom of my freezer.

Chicken  and turkey are the difficult ones, but I've played this game before. I have a grinder attachment for my beautiful Kitchenaid mixer, and I intend to use it. Breast meat may be low in fat, but it's drier than the Mohave desert. Blech! My stomach rebels, unless I grind it up. Also, grinding your own allows you the opportunity to add flavor, like herbs and spices.

Okay, time to go! Life doesn't stop while you wait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Doc has a Spiffy New Office!

The Legend of No Desserts in One-der-Land

Is Humiliation Part of the Treatment?