Pinterest Freezer Project Update

Pre-cooking meat in the crockpot works! Being an "old hand" at the crock pot, I already knew the trick of adding Kitchen Bouquet to my ground pork to give it that "browned" look, but this was a side adventure. After cooking, I drained away the grease and weighed what was left. Two pounds of raw ground pork became 10 oz each for two quart bags of cooked pork ready for a meal another day.
The stock "pucks" made in my silicone muffin tins are now ready for use! I can't wait for my next beef stew. It worked great when I melted one in the microwave for use in my stroganoff! 
I already know making tea and coffee cubes work for iced tea and coffee. The big experiment for the day is: does Almond Milk freeze well enough to be used in my daily protein shake? I have used frozen yogurt and of course ice cubes. I'm looking for a different boost to my shakes.

Let's go into pre-cooking the meat a little deeper. 

1. Pre-cooking Meat in the Crock Pot. I have been using crock pots since I got my first as a wedding present in 1981. I still make some of those recipes that came with that original slow cooker. But, times have changed significantly. I'm a widow with a full-time job now, and my mornings are a hectic rush that would have appalled that new starry-eyed bride I had been back then. Now, it's important to set myself up for success with a plan. If I'm not actually using my crock pot to cook that evening's meal, it still can help me. One of my biggest solutions is pre-cooked meat, especially ground meat like ground beef, pork, and even ground chicken. With the meat already cooked and waiting in the freezer, the rest of the meal is a snap to throw together. Spaghetti with meat sauce, chili, soups, stews, and a mountain of casseroles are at my disposal. 

The first thing I do is label my freezer bags before I get my hands dirty or wet. I've gotten fairly good at estimating how many bags I'll need, but I also prefer to use masking tape to label my bags. It's cheap, and if I make too many labels, it causes no heartburn to throw the extra away before I put it on the bag. 

Do yourself a favor and buy a good brand of freezer bag with a zipper top. El Cheapo brand is no bargain when it can't take the heat or cold and bursts. Or worse, gets a little hole in the seam you don't see until it's too late. Get the zipper top so you can easily close the bag almost all the way, just enough to let out all the extra air, then zip it shut, locking out freezer burn. 

I use Reynold's Slow Cooker Bags to make clean up a breeze. One bag in the crock, and when I'm done, I can throw the mess away, wash the crock quickly, and put it away for next time. 

My final recommendation is Kitchen Bouquet. Keep a bottle of this little miracle around for occasions when you need a little more color and flavor. One tablespoon mixed in with your ground meat will give it that "browned" look the crock pot can't give. It can also improve the look of gravies and sauces. 

I'm in a hurry all the time, so being able to dump, stir, lid, and go is my idea of good cooking. I get out my ingredients, line them up in order, and slam it all together. Sometimes I do this the night before, allowing frozen ingredients to thaw in the slow cooker bag. Unless it's going to condense a lot of water you don't want included, try it. I have nosy cats, who have proven they will go after a thawing slab of meat in the sink, so putting it away in the oven or crock is a smart move. 

Whether you spice, marinate, or flavor your meat is up to you. I don't, except for Kitchen Bouquet. I like having options when I pre-cook. 

Well, it's close to bedtime. I think I'd better get out the soup ingredients for tomorrow's meal. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Doc has a Spiffy New Office!

The Legend of No Desserts in One-der-Land

Is Humiliation Part of the Treatment?