Lena's Cheap Recipe of the Day: Grilled Skirt Steak from Good Eats

Okay, I'm cheap. I freely admit that. Flank Steak and Skirt Steak are cheap cuts compared to Sirloins and T-bones in my grocery stores. However, without a marinade and some correct cutting, I could use the meat for rubber bands around here. So, this variation of a marinade sould do the trick nicely. I don't have a blender, but I figure my food processor will do. I've been marinating in zip-top bags for years. Don't forget to get all the air out of the bag before sealing and mush-mush-mush!
 
A bonus for me: I don't have to heat up my kitchen and make my a/c labor anymore than it already has to.
 
 

Skirt Steak from Alton Brown


 

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup olive oil

  • 1/3 cup soy sauce

  • 4 scallions, washed and cut in 1/2

  • 2 large cloves garlic

  • 1/4 cup lime juice

  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

  • 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar or Mexican brown sugar

  • 2 pounds inside skirt steak, cut into 3 equal pieces

  • Special equipment: blow dryer

Directions

Heat charcoal, preferably natural chunk, until gray ash appears. In a blender, put in oil, soy sauce, scallions, garlic, lime juice, red pepper, cumin, and sugar and puree. In a large heavy duty, zip top bag, put pieces of skirt steak and pour in marinade. Seal bag, removing as much air as possible. Allow steak to marinate for 1 hour in refrigerator.

 

Remove steak from bag and pat dry with paper towels. Using a blow dryer, blow charcoal clean of ash. Once clean of ash lay steaks directly onto hot coals for 1 minute per side. When finished cooking, place meat in double thickness of aluminum foil, wrap, and allow to sit for 15 minutes.

 

Remove meat from foil, reserving foil and juices. Slice thinly across the grain of the meat. Return to foil pouch and toss with juice. Serve with grilled peppers and onions, if desired.


Alton put it in a fajita, rolled it up and ate. There are low carb tortillas out there, but I don't need one at all. The guys, however, roll theirs up in a fajita and chow down happily.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Doc has a Spiffy New Office!

The Legend of No Desserts in One-der-Land

Is Humiliation Part of the Treatment?