DIY Laundry Soap for Months

Call me a skeptic. This I had trouble believing in. I could mix my own powdered laundry detergent? Well, I had an old cannister that had once contained cat food leftover from a trip to Costco, so why not? My daughter recommended it and she's as frugal as I ever was.

1 Box of Borax
3 bars Fells Naptha soap, shredded using a box grater
1 5 lb tub OxyClean
3 c. baking soda
1 box washing soda
2 bottles of scent crystals

I spent about $25 at the grocery store to get those. No biggie. If it works, that's several months of laundry for a large family, and since there's just the two of us here, it should be even longer. Shred the Fells Naptha soap first into a small bucket or bowl. It takes awhile. Sit in front of the TV or something and wear gardening gloves, just in case. My scraped hand was a hard lesson in paying attention. Box graters are cheap at the dollar store, but handy when you need to shred just a little bit.

All ingredients get dumped into any large bucket or storage container with a lid. A big box hardware store paint bucket with lid, or an old cat food cannister is great. Dump and shake/stir/mix. Do this away from food. Some powder gets into the air.

I saved the scoop from the OxyClean tub, and that's been my measurement for the soap in a full load. I also used the OxyClean tub to have a smaller, more convenient container to sit next to the washer. The rest of the mix is nearby, secured and dry. I've been using the OxyClean tub full for over a month or two now, and I might have to refill it next week sometime. It really does last awhile, and the clothes are clean.

Next time, I think I'll try those Gain scent beads, since Gain advertises the scent more than cleaning power.

Let me know if you try this!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Doc has a Spiffy New Office!

The Legend of No Desserts in One-der-Land

The Best Spices-- Never say Low Carb is bland again