A Liberal Old Lady from the South

I was born in 1959. I grew up hearing and unconsciously participated in the systemic racism. We had a black maid named Ms. Martha. I adored her as a child who knows no color does. I played with the little mixed race girl down the street named Patti. I was innocent enough to envy her "great tan" without prejudice. 
However, I was still blind and deaf to racism. I heard and dismissed/excused use of the N word, though inwardly I shuddered. But I didn't open my mouth and call them on it. I knew that there were certain areas of town where "they" lived. I didn't think to question why. I didn't question the inequities, and I admit with shame I often did not even think about it. 
But I grew. I worked with some persons of color, who slowly educated me and removed the blocks placed in my mind by systemic racism. I thank them all. 
I've actually heard someone say to me that they grew up with racism and they "meant nothing by it, it was just the way I was raised."
Are you a thinking adult human who could be called reasonably intelligent? Then you can do what I did and learn. 
Learn about gerrymandering. Learn about voter suppression. Stop yourself when you hear the wrong words and prejudice in your own thinking. Learn that the Tulsa Race Riots are a white-washed term for a massacre. Learn what red-lining is. That's what Google is for. Learn why we are having protests now. Pay attention. Acknowledge the existence of everyone around you without assuming that someone of color is there for a nefarious purpose. Assume nothing. Weigh everything against the prejudices that color your thinking by assuming that someone is innocent. 
If only God can judge you, then you don't have the right to judge. 
Now here's where you are going to stretch your knowledge and practice what you have learned. Start small. Smile at someone of color. Admire the baby, compliment her clothes, and shake the gentleman's hand when business has concluded. If you would do it for a person of your own circle of acquaintance, do it. Courtesy is easy to equalize. 
Later as your eyes get used to seeing racism you will find the joys of tasting new foods, dancing new dances, and protecting when you see racism in action. 
Your past does not define you and lock you in a cage of wrong thinking. Do right because it is right to do it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Doc has a Spiffy New Office!

The Legend of No Desserts in One-der-Land

The Best Spices-- Never say Low Carb is bland again