New England Boiled Dinner


I'm sure you've noticed I post the recipe first. That's deliberate. I get so annoyed when a blogger goes on and on with more personal information than I care to know, interspersed with ads for stuff I don't want to buy. If you want to read why I chose a recipe, or the reasons I think it fits, read on. 

St. Patrick's Day is coming. Corned Beef and Cabbage is traditional. However, there's another reason to enjoy this classic. It's full of root vegetables. That too is tradition. At this season of the year, our ancestors depended on the contents of the root cellar to provide necessary vitamins and minerals only found in vegetables. Now, of course, we can all waltz into the local grocery store and find greenhouse grown vegetables right alongside whatever is seasonal. But what is traditional gives you a taste -literally!- of what our ancestors enjoyed and appreciated as the seasons turn. 

Food can be not only nutrition, but fun! It's not only how much you eat, but what you eat that matters. This recipe is full of fiber, vitamins, and taste. I don't believe in eating cardboard and feeling guilty. My stomach tells me (forcefully, sometimes) when I'm full. I'm learning to listen. 



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Doc has a Spiffy New Office!

The Legend of No Desserts in One-der-Land

The Best Spices-- Never say Low Carb is bland again