Making a List, Checking it Twice

Stores are dangerous places for me right now for several reasons. The most important is they are "impulse buying" traps. Stores are set up and designed so you are tempted all the way until you reach the parking lot. Note that it seems you always have to walk to the fartherest point to get what you need, and you can't escape the "impulse buy" racks at the checkout with their candy bars and junk.
 
Now I have to add in the money issue. DH has been out of work since March. If you think there isn't age discrimination, try to find work past the age of fifty. Good luck. Anyway, to say the least, we have to watch every penny. Shopping in stores means bringing back a receipt and hanging on to the scrap of paper until it shows up on the online banking statement. God forbid if you need to return an item without your receipt.
 
Now imagine Christmas shopping this way. In years past when times were good, I enjoyed the process of shopping at holiday time. Sure, most of my gifts were bought on the internet because they had to be shipped directly to the recipient. This year, I have a mere two households to ship to. The rest can be shared with family and friends locally. 

 

Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

 

This year, I'll still do my shopping online. In fact, I'll do even some of my routine shopping online. Why? No impulse shopping, and a receipt printout I can't lose. In fact, I can write detailed notes on that printout.

 

Some of my gifts will be handmade. Not only out of economical necessity, but also simply because I enjoy tailoring a gift to an individual. For instance, Dante loves pirate themes now that he's involved with a local pirate reinactment group. He'd probably enjoy a treasure map pillowcase stitched with his name on the cuff. Especially since he likes a particular kind of pillow that doesn't fit the standard pillowcase.

 

Well, I'm off to go cut out these pillowcases. They sure are interesting.


 

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
 it's about learning to dance in the rain.
 

Lena Austin

http://www.LenaAustin.com

Writing blog: http://depravedduchess.blogspot.com

Recipe and Pagan blog: http://third-infinity.blogspot.com

Low Carb Diet blog: http://fatfrogdiary.blogspot.com

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Doc has a Spiffy New Office!

Is Humiliation Part of the Treatment?

The Legend of No Desserts in One-der-Land