Eggnog Pie

 

Eggnog Pie


This vintage recipe appeared on the internet, and you know I had to swipe it! Please read through all my notes and the entire recipe before beginning. I won't tell if you use a store-bought pre-made pie crust. I soften the unflavored gelatin in a small custard cup just before I start whipping the egg whites because it only takes about 5 minutes or so to "bloom." This filling is a cooked custard eggnog, and well worth the extra time and trouble. If you're a bit nervous, have a practice run and serve the custard (or a whole pie) to a friend. I have no trouble finding a guinea pig who will let me do a trial run with them. 


Notes:

1. Separate the eggs at the very beginning. You can store the whites in a jar in the refrigerator until you need them. Beat the egg yolks to that lemony/foamy stage and set aside. When you add the hot cream mixture to the beaten egg yolks, do so slowly and patiently. Work in a little cream mix at a time. The idea is to heat up the egg yolks, so they don't curdle --or worse, cook! --until you add the whole thing back to the double boiler. "A small amount" isn't very clear how much will be needed, but you'll see the difference when the yolks have been heated sufficiently. Be patient. 

2. Use a pre-made pie crust or even a pre-made graham pie crust. It works either way.

3. A double boiler is not as tricky as people think. I put a Corning glass bowl over a large saucepan of boiling water. Don't let the boiling water touch the bottom of the bowl. If you have too much water, pour a bit out. You're after the steam heat. Have a second bowl standing by at room temperature to pour the mix into for the chilling stage. Putting that steaming bowl you used as part of the double boiler directly into the refrigerator might make it crack, and I've seen the mess when one explodes! It's worth washing an extra bowl to avoid that mess and possible stitches. 

4. The chilling in the refrigerator can take as much as an hour or more. Be patient. You need it to be slightly thickened and a little chilled before you add in the whipped egg whites. 

5. While the pie filling is chilling, take a few moments to cut up the candied cherries and green citron if you intend to faithfully follow the poinsettia decoration. It's sticky stuff, so have a dry plate to lay your decorations until you need them. Alternately, you can use any of the commercially available decorations, or simply sprinkle your pie with colored sugar and a stencil. 


************************

Disclaimer: I am not a chef, nor a licensed food service professional of any kind. I'm a grandmother who loves to cook and loves efficient cooking. Anything I post has been checked out by me, but in no way do I guarantee that my suggestions will work for you. YMMV (Your mileage may vary.) Some links may give the original poster a small commission on products sold via the link. I personally am not an affiliate, nor do I earn commissions on products. The links provided are examples of what's available online. 

Lena Austin

www.fatfrogdiary.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Doc has a Spiffy New Office!

The Legend of No Desserts in One-der-Land

Is Humiliation Part of the Treatment?