Hoppin' John

Hoppin' John

 

A classic American dish from the Deep South, this was commonly served at my family home on New Year's Day. It's a superstition (or a way for Mom to get us to eat black-eyed peas) that the more black-eyed peas you eat on New Year's Day, the more money you'll get in the coming year. Serve with a side of cornbread because it's gold and also brings wealth. Besides, it soaks up the juice from the beans. 

Notes:

1. This is a crock pot recipe but starts in a skillet. It's worth the extra trouble to collect those lovely brown bits. If Mama celebrated a bit too much the night before, this recipe won't strain her brain too much. 

2. I don't add the crab meat because I'm allergic. I'd love to hear from someone else how they felt it tasted. 

3. For the dirty rice mix, I used Zatarain's, but Tony Chachere's or any other brand would work. 

Disclaimer: I am not a chef, nor a licensed food service professional of any kind. I'm a grandmother who loves to cook and loves efficient cooking. Anything I post has been checked out by me, but in no way do I guarantee that my suggestions will work for you. YMMV (Your mileage may vary.) Some links may give the original poster a small commission on products sold via the link.

Lena Austin

www.fatfrogdiary.blogspot.com

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Doc has a Spiffy New Office!

The Legend of No Desserts in One-der-Land

Is Humiliation Part of the Treatment?