Classic Mashed Potatoes and some Alternatives

Classic Mashed Potatoes and some Alternatives 



Ah, the classic mashed potatoes as a staple of the American holiday celebration! The beloved and versatile potato has saved lives as a staple of the poor, and chefs love it for being a cheap, easy side dish that can be dressed up as Duchess Potatoes or a fine, creamy Gratin. Vary the cheese, vary the dairy, add other favorite vegetables, and the humble potato becomes a feast. 

The recipe above serves 4. I double or even triple the recipe for a holiday meal and still get pitiful looks when the last is dished onto a plate.  

Speaking of Duchess Potatoes, if you don't have a fancy star tip to pipe a pretty mound, then spoon it up into 4 mounds without guilt. I'm not serving royalty. I personally line the baking pan with parchment paper before spooning the potatoes on the baking pan. A silicone baking mat works just fine too. 

Please note that Potato Patties are a great "day after the holiday" breakfast side. That is, assuming you ever have leftovers. I recommend cooking bacon first, then the onions (and bell peppers, if you wish). Now you can drain off any excess but leave at least 2 Tablespoons in the pan to fry with. That will give you the goodness of bacon fried right into your patties. 

More alternatives on the classic mashed potato can be found in the link below. 

Sources Classic Mashed Potatoes (bhg.com)-- Here are the alternatives. 

************************

Disclaimer: I am not a chef, nor a licensed food service professional of any kind. I'm a grandmother who loves to cook and loves efficient cooking. Anything I post has been checked out by me, but in no way do I guarantee that my suggestions will work for you. YMMV (Your mileage may vary.) Some links may give the original poster a small commission on products sold via the link. I personally am not an affiliate, nor do I earn commissions on products. The links provided are examples of what's available online. 

Lena Austin

www.fatfrogdiary.blogspot.com




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Doc has a Spiffy New Office!

The Legend of No Desserts in One-der-Land

Is Humiliation Part of the Treatment?