Roast Turkey with Sage Butter

 

Roast Turkey with Sage Butter




This recipe from the illustrious magazine, Epicurious, became my go-to turkey recipe from the first day we tried it. Take my advice and make the broth yourself using cheap wings, backs, and drumsticks. This is your opportunity to use all those carrot tops, onion skins, leek greens, and of course celery tops in the broth. Season lightly if at all! Remember you'll be adding seasoning during the recipe process when you use the broth. I make mine in the Instant Pot using the slow cooker setting, cool, strain out the spent veggies and bones, then cool thoroughly to remove the big disk of fat the next day. The result should be thick, gelatinized, and more delicious than anything you can buy from the store. 

Yes, it's worth the extra trouble of frying up the bacon then mixing the butter, sage and bacon. Make sure you reserve that 1/3 cup of the sage butter for the gravy before stuffing the rest under the skin. Yes, slide your hand under the skin and stuff the sage butter in there, and try to get it everywhere your fingers will fit. 

If you need to thicken your gravy, use Wondra flour. It's made to be used for gravy. I sprinkle it into the hot pan of drippings and whisk vigorously to combine. 

Sources- Epicurious Roast Turkey with Sage Butter Recipe | Epicurious, 2004

************************

Disclaimer: I am not a chef, nor a licensed food service professional of any kind. I'm a grandmother who loves to cook and loves efficient cooking. Anything I post has been checked out by me, but in no way do I guarantee that my suggestions will work for you. YMMV (Your mileage may vary.) Some links may give the original poster a small commission on products sold via the link. I personally am not an affiliate, nor do I earn commissions on products. The links provided are examples of what's available online. 

Lena Austin

www.fatfrogdiary.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Doc has a Spiffy New Office!

The Legend of No Desserts in One-der-Land

Is Humiliation Part of the Treatment?