Beefy French Onion Soup

OMG!! I despise onions. Really hate them. I cook with them normally only when I can whirl them to oblivion in the food processor. This recipe made me change my mind. I'd serve this ANYTIME. I made one major recipe change. At my favorite grocery, the sweet onions were available by the bag. Knowing I'd have to make this recipe, I wrinkled my nose and bought the bag of sweet onions. Do try the sweets for this. Vidalia is the best known.They're only available late April through mid-June and only from a certain area of Georgia. However, other sweet onions are available at different times of year. Mine this time came from Peru.

Ingredients:
3 small onions, thinly sliced
1/2 T butter, melted
1 T. Splenda
1 dried bay leaf
3/4 lb. beef stew meat. Note to bandsters-- I whirled my beef in the food processor to get them small enough to pass my band. You may have to decide if you can cut up the chunks finer, or if you need the processor.
16 oz condensed beef consomme
2 T. dry sherry or apple juice. (I used apple juice)
1/2 cup apple juice (No, this isn't a typo. If you're using the sherry above, you still need this juice)
1/8 tsp dried thyme

Optional: Shredded white cheeses such as mozzarella,  provolone, Swiss, or Parmesan.

Cooking Instructions--
Toss everything except the cheese in the crock pot. Cover and cook on low at least six hours. Remove bay leaf before serving. Top each delicious bowlful with a sprinkling of cheese and serve.

Without the cheese: 259 calories, 28g protein, 17g carbs

Goes great with a spinach salad and sweet onion vinaigrette! The non-carb folks in your house may enjoy a crusty bit of French bread, toasted in the oven if they insist. Mine didn't.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Lena, How many does this serve sounds so high in protein I can't wait to make this one. Should I assume 4 servings ???? Kathy imaluckydog
Lee Plumb said…
Yes Kathy, assume four generous servings. I highly recommend doubling this recipe.

Popular posts from this blog

My Doc has a Spiffy New Office!

The Legend of No Desserts in One-der-Land

Is Humiliation Part of the Treatment?