Jan 31 Sunday-- Testing the Band FAIL

Jan 31 Sunday--
Today I learned an important lesson about trying to eat things a bandster shouldn't. This morning I ate bread. In my defense, it was a Scottish 9-grain oatmeal bread and deliciously hard to resist. However, I knew from previous experience I shouldn't. Yep, I threw it up in less than half an hour. Did I learn a lesson? Not really.
I worked very hard on a new low-carb recipe from one of my favorite websites, SavingDinner.com. I did my best to cut up the round steak into thin strips, but it wasn't enough to pass my band and I knew it. So, I tried to whirl the cooked steak strips in my mini-food processor, hoping to grind them into bits about like ground beef. The recipe smelled so good, my mouth watered. Fail!! Despite my best attempts, I made a mad dash for the bathroom, gasping in pain. Dammit!!
Next, I ground up a boiled egg with some of the juice from the meat. Yuk! My stomach may be altered, but my taste buds aren't. Take it from me, don't bother with that idea. Instead, I'm going to change the recipe so next time I use a bandster-friendly ground beef instead. 
I finally settled on five small cocktail sausages. Even those hurt my abused stomach pouch. (whimper) Maybe later, I'll have some flavored cottage cheese as a soothing cool balm.

This is my own version, altered somewhat to work with a band by using ground meat and Romaine instead of steak and tortillas.

Teriaki Burger Wraps

1/4 cup teriaki marinade
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
1 lb boneless beef top round steak, 3/4" thick, cut into bite-sized bits OR 1 lb ground beef
1 small red onion, halved
Optional-- additional veggies like zucchini, broccoli, etc
2-3 medium green bell peppers, quartered  OR 1 bag of frozen bell pepper strips
4 large Romaine lettuce leaves OR 1 bag of tortillas

Instructions:
In a small bowl, combine marinade, chopped onion, garlic, and hot pepper sauce. Place beef in a zip top plastic bag and pour marinade on top. Seal the bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.

In a skillet (I used an electric skillet) toss in beef and marinade, cooking until meat is no longer pink, but not done. Add veggies. Cook until done. Spoon into lettuce or tortillas. Serve.

201 calories, 14 g carbs (possibly less)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Doc has a Spiffy New Office!

Is Humiliation Part of the Treatment?

The Legend of No Desserts in One-der-Land