Canned or Jarred Butter

 Canned' or 'Jarred' Butter!!

I'm re-sharing this post because I've been hearing and reading about a possible butter shortage and continuing high prices for butter. I don't know if that will happen (I hope it doesn't), but just in case it does I wanted to share this again to help you all be as prepared as possible for whatever may come... bad weather, shortages, rising food prices, inflation, illness, job insecurity, etc... The more prepared we are the better we can handle whatever comes our way!
I firmly believe we should 'Be Prepared - Not Scared'!!
Before I go on I want to post a portion of what I've written in my 'about' section... I'm not an expert, but I am a wife, a mother, a grandmother, and a great-grandmother who likes to cook and bake and store up for my family! I'll be sharing some favorite recipes. I will also be sharing canning recipes - methods - and pictures. Some of the canning recipes I share may not be FDA or USDA approved or found in the Ball book, I've chosen to can these things after doing my own research, but please be aware that you will be canning them at your own risk. I will let you know when one of the recipes I share is in this category!
Now that you've had a chance to read my disclaimer... This is one of those projects that isn't approved by the FDA, USDA, or any of the experts.
I've done research about 'canning' butter and after seeing other people can or jar butter and reading about different methods used... this is what I did. I'm not giving you a tutorial because it's not approved by the experts, I'm simply taking you on my journey.
I unwrapped 5 pounds of butter (you can use salted or unsalted) - I used the least expensive butter I could find and it happened to be Walmart's store brand,
I put it in a pot and began to melt it at medium low heat,
I stirred very regularly to prevent sticking or browning,
meanwhile I had my clean jars on a cookie sheet in the oven at 225 degrees to keep them hot and clean - you never want to put hot food in cold jars or cold food in hot jars!
I also had my lids in a small pot simmering on a low heat. This is no longer required by the canning lid companies but, I chose to do it for this project.
When the butter was all melted I took my jars out of the oven -
I had hot pads on the counter and set the whole cookie sheet of jars there so it would be easier for me to deal with.
I filled the jars with my melted butter (using a funnel) leaving 1/2 inch headspace ,
I wiped the rims of the jars with a damp paper towel to make sure there was no residue,
I put on the hot lid and the ring/band - tightening it as tight as it was comfortable for me to tighten it.
I set the jars on a clean towel and let the jars seal.
Now starts the intensive part... shake the jars.... set them down... wait a few minutes... shake them all again.
This shaking process goes on until the butter is blended and begins to set.
I even put my jars in the fridge for about 15 minutes - and I still shook them while they were in there.
I'm very pleased with the end result!!
Beautiful butter that is shelf stable.
I did not water bath or pressure can this butter.
I've talked to people who've done this and had the butter on their shelves for several years and when they opened the jars the butter was as good as the day they canned it.
If you do not agree with putting up butter like this that is your right, but please do not chastise or correct me for what I'm doing. I've been very clear that this is not a method approved by the experts, and any one doing it does it at their own risk. I choose to take that risk, what others do is up to them.
If you feel compelled to be unkind or to chastise me, don't be surprised if I delete your comment! I've made it Abundantly clear that this is not an approved method and everyone does it at their own risk.
This is simply part of my journey I'm sharing on how I'm being as prepared as possible for my family!
Doing this assures me that whatever comes - storms, power loss, loss of income, shortages, inflation, rising food costs, societal collapse, etc... my family will have the things they like to eat and cook with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Doc has a Spiffy New Office!

The Legend of No Desserts in One-der-Land

The Best Spices-- Never say Low Carb is bland again