Switchel- The Haymaker's Gatorade

 

Haymakers’ Gatorade aka Switchel

Note: This recipe makes a LOT of liquid. Use a gallon jug/pitcher for my recipe, 2 gallons for the original.

**************

Original Recipe:

1-1/4 gal water (5 qts)

2 cups molasses, honey, and/or maple syrup

1 cup apple cider vinegar

2 T. powdered ginger

Rum (optional)

***************

My Reduced Version

2-1/2 qt water

1 cup molasses, honey, and/or maple syrup (Mix it up until it equals 1 cup. Molasses is too bitter to be used alone. I personally use 1/2 honey and 1/2 molasses)

½ cup apple cider vinegar

1 T powdered ginger, though candied ginger can be substituted.

Rum (to taste, still optional)

 

No, seriously. That’s it. Mix it up in the jug, jar, or pitcher. Chill and serve. I know, it’s weird, but oddly refreshing. This is an old New England recipe used during the hay harvest to refresh the weary farm hands while they worked in the summer heat to bring in the hay for winter.

I discovered it works best for me when I mix it with my iced tea when I work in the yard. While I can and have drunk my switchel straight up, it's not something I'm used to doing. I have a habit of carrying a large, insulated Yeti drink mug everywhere. That habit is left over from when I lived in Colorado, where the air is thin and dry. Everyone seems to carry a water bottle or Yeti with them everywhere. 

I'm giving the nod to Max Miller of the YouTube channel, Tasting History. Please see his video below for more information on this poor man's Gatorade. 

 (3) Switchel - The Farmer's Gatorade of the 19th Century - YouTube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Doc has a Spiffy New Office!

The Legend of No Desserts in One-der-Land

The Best Spices-- Never say Low Carb is bland again