Homemade Spice Blends from AllRecipes.com

 

Homemade Spice Blends from AllRecipes.com

I love spice blends I make myself, and not just because I save a ton of money. I know what's going into my spice blends and can make adjustments if needed. For instance, I'm slightly allergic to rosemary and both my roommate and I can't stand cilantro. These adjustments are important to us, since they truly affect our enjoyment of food. 

These links below are my go-to recipes for some of my favorite spice blends, plus a few I'm dying to try too! Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks? 

Homemade Spice Blend Recipes (allrecipes.com)

 Homemade Seasoned Salt Recipe (allrecipes.com)

(1) How to Make Pumpkin Spice (Pumpkin Pie Spice)! - YouTube

 4 DIY Spice Blends | Recipes (tasty.co)

In a previous recent post on September 12, I mentioned making your own blends to keep around in Ziploc snack bags. Well, I'm correcting myself. I have an alternative place to store your single-use or small batch seasoning blends. Pop one of these in a Ziploc bag with your rice or pasta instead. 

 Amazon.com: Comfy Package [100 Sets - 2 oz.] Plastic Portion Cups With Lids, Souffle Cups, Jello Shot Cups : Industrial & Scientific

These cups come in several sizes, so choose what you think will work best for you and your household. After all, if you're cooking for a large family, you're going to want a larger container than the 2-oz size I use. Just keep in mind that you'll want to label these well. I wrote directly on the container, and that was a big mistake for me. I can't read what I wrote if the spice mix is dark, and most are shades of brown. 

Personal Notes- Spice blends are the way to go for ease and convenience as well as saving money. It's ready to go with little or no thought or tedious measurements. Just throw it in with the cooked meat, add liquid, starch (pasta, rice, farro, whatever), veggies, and any other flavors. You can make it even easier by doing this in the air fryer, Instant Pot, or slow cooker.  

Spice Party Time! Let's face it. We all have a cabinet full of spice that probably aged out a few years ago. I have one spice in my cabinet I keep for one recipe I make only at holiday time. That's a waste. Why not gather up those spices and share them with friends? Have a spice party, make a few blends, divide the spices left, and everyone goes home with (hopefully) some money saved with less waste.  

I hope you've been inspired to try out a few blends you've not attempted before. 

Disclaimer: I am not a chef, nor a licensed food service professional of any kind. I'm a grandmother who loves to cook and loves efficient cooking. Anything I post has been checked out by me, but in no way do I guarantee that my suggestions will work for you. YMMV (Your mileage may vary.) 

Lena Austin

www.fatfrogdiary.blogspot.com

 

 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Doc has a Spiffy New Office!

The Legend of No Desserts in One-der-Land

The Best Spices-- Never say Low Carb is bland again