Sauerkraut Soup with Sausage

Sauerkraut Soup with Sausage


This is one of the oldest recipes in my collection, dating from somewhere around 1975. Since it's been torn, I'll fill in the blanks on the ingredient list. 

RECIPE INGREDIENTS

 2 strips bacon, chopped

1 medium onion, minced

1/2 tsp paprika

1 can (I lb) of sauerkraut, drained and rinsed

6 cups bouillon (see notes) 

2 cups diced red or yellow potatoes

1 bay leaf

1 1-lb ready to eat Kielbasa, cut into bite-sized pieces

Salt and pepper, to taste

Chopped parsley for garnish, if desired


Notes

1. Better than Bouillon has a ham flavor, which would work well to give more of a pork flavor. If you can't find Better than Bouillon at your supermarket, use chicken broth. I've provided a link below so you can purchase online if desired. 

2. I don't bother peeling my potatoes. If you don't mind the peel, leave it on and just dice the potatoes into bite-sized bits. I recommend using red or yellow potatoes because they are slightly firmer than the simple white or Irish potatoes. 

3. Yes, I changed the kielbasa and just suggested you cut them into bite-sized pieces. The skin is edible. 

4. This is one of the few times where I think a slow cooker is not a good idea for a recipe. Kielbasa can be a bit greasy and is easily over cooked in a slow cooker. Just use a Dutch oven. 

Sources:

1. Better than Bouillon: Our Products - Better Than Bouillon

2. Dutch Oven- Amazon.com: Lodge 6 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven with Lid – Dual Handles – Oven Safe up to 500° F or on Stovetop - Use to Marinate, Cook, Bake, Refrigerate and Serve – Oyster White: Home & Kitchen

************************

Disclaimer: I am not a chef, nor a licensed food service professional of any kind. I'm a grandmother who loves to cook and loves efficient cooking. Anything I post has been checked out by me, but in no way do I guarantee that my suggestions will work for you. YMMV (Your mileage may vary.) Some links may give the original poster a small commission on products sold via the link. I personally am not an affiliate, nor do I earn commissions on products. The links provided are examples of what's available online. 

Lena Austin

www.fatfrogdiary.blogspot.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Doc has a Spiffy New Office!

The Legend of No Desserts in One-der-Land

The Best Spices-- Never say Low Carb is bland again