Ukraine Borscht or Vampire Stew

UKRAINIAN BORSCHT

This recipe is from my teenage years, cut out of a Better Homes and Garden or Family Circle magazine. Family Circle is no longer in publication.  

I have a much-beloved Dutch oven, purchased less than a year ago, after fighting the expense and refusing to pay that much for a pot. Now I'm sorry I waited so long. It really does allow me to brown a meat on the stovetop, then pop the whole thing in the oven if required, but it has the versatility of simmering all day on the stove if that's what's needed as in this recipe. 

Yes, this is a recipe using beets. I recommend serving it first at Halloween time because of the color. You can call it Vampire Stew and tell the diners it's red to attract vampires. Use the fancy baby potatoes and cut them into skulls by digging out eye holes and slicing the smaller end to have "teeth." The carrots can be cut into coins and then shaped into pumpkins to add a real Halloween flair. 

Disclaimer: I am not a chef, nor a licensed food service professional of any kind. I'm a grandmother who loves to cook and loves efficient cooking. Anything I post has been checked out by me, but in no way do I guarantee that my suggestions will work for you. YMMV (Your mileage may vary.) Some links may give the original poster a small commission on products sold via the link.

Lena Austin

www.fatfrogdiary.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Doc has a Spiffy New Office!

The Legend of No Desserts in One-der-Land

The Best Spices-- Never say Low Carb is bland again